Saturday, June 5, 2010

Up the Dam

Took a run up the dam at Los Gatos today pushing two of my progeny in a double jog stroller by B.O.B. The Double B.O.B. has gotten quite heavy over the last year, and my lack of fitness was not helpful either. Thanks to some help from a team dad, and some shameful walking up the fire trail, I made it. According to REI's website (http://www.rei.com/product/750871) the stroller itself weighs in at 33 lbs. The kids combined weight is currently about 70 lbs, with one almost 6 year-old and one almost 3 year-old. The fire trail portion of the dam run is about a 30 plus degree incline. I ran in the Vibram fivefingers KSO toe shoes (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_KSO_m.cfm), which helped in the sense that they were easy to flex my foot in, but the lack of traction in loose gravel up the hill with 100lbs pushing backwards at me was more of a liability than an asset. In the past I have found hill running in the fivefingers to be a tangible boon, feeling a lot more in control of my incline efforts. I am looking into the KSO Trek (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_kso_trek_m.cfm) which has more of what I would have needed on the trail today, including traction and armor plating for pesky rocks.

So to sum up the day:

Distance: Approx 4.5 miles
Time: NT
Variables: Pushing Double jog stroller with 2 skinny boys inside, weigtht 100lbs +
Body talk: Felt less crunchy than earlier in the week. Toe shoes felt great, muscles repsonsive. Felt good overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment